32 - Helping fund alternative therapies for a father battling cancer - Dec 2020

Our member Eve, nominated her friend Neil, who was diagnosed with Bladder cancer stage CIS T1 in August. He has had two operations to remove the tumour and is currently waiting on Biopsy results to decide on the next course of treatment

 

Upon diagnosis Neil he lost his job, and as he was self employed he cannot receive any Government assistance with income or benefit.  Normally, he would be able to gain employment but due to the current Covid 19 situation he has been unable to secure any work or help for funds just when they are needed the most.  Moreover, the ongoing situation with Covid 19 since March 2020 has meant Neil has not had the benefit of regular work to accrue funds.  

 

In addition to the NHS treatment Neil has been advised to take supplemental holistic treatment, and there is a cost that he has struggled to meet - which alongside the diagnosis itself has put a huge strain on his mental wellbeing. As a result his friend Graham set up a Go Fund me site.  At the time of Eve’s nomination a few weeks ago, due to our other agreed donations, we did not have sufficient funds in our pot to help out so we agreed to keep an eye on the target whilst we built our own coffers back up with your weekly contributions.


We noticed that although the Go Fund me site had reached  almost £900, it had been quite static for a few weeks so we told Eve we would be able to donate £500 this week.  On knowing that our group was going to donate £500, Graham used his funds to buy the remaining supplements for Neil to finish the course.  


Neil is a proud man and will not ask for charity, but as a friend and a recipient of his kind nature on numerous occasions, Eve told us that as she saw him struggling, she thought about asking us at 500 together for help on his behalf. 

 

This is another nomination we are proud to be able to support.  Covid has made already devastating situations even more challenging this year and we are always pleased to be able to step in and help where we can. 

 

This is a message from Neil, we want to share with you.


I’ve just been informed of this decision to donate to my fundraiser for which I really cannot thank you enough or convey the gratitude of my family to each and everyone of you.

It's been a rocky road since my diagnosis in august mentally more than anything else. I hit rock bottom -  this is when I found holistic medicine and spiritual healing it gave me a belief that my life wasn’t over and and dragged myself back and decided one morning I had two choices to get busy living or get busy dying I chose life not just for me but all the lovely friends I have and of course my daughter.

Over the last 6 weeks the treatments have started and I have to say physically and mentally I’m feeling much better and this act of incomparable kindness on your behalf has touched my heart. 


https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-help-neil-brotherhood-with-his-treatment?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cf%20share-flow-1&fbclid=IwAR0GuapcQRmyuAo1s9xGZowhM_Nn5mBAPs53P9sEYyqJOZWwUVv9vUmvTfQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

39 - Support for victims & survivors of Domestic Abuse - Rehouse to Rehome - February 2021

156 - Helping a mum & daughter settle into their new home - April 2023

118 - Helping SWWOP set up a 'flexi-pot' to allow them to support women in emergency situations.